For nearly 3 million travelers, the journey to spend the season with family and friends will take them through Orlando International Airport (MCO). The travel period is 22-days this year and stretches from Friday, December 16th until Friday, January 6th.
“With an expected 8 percent increase in passenger traffic, this will be our busiest holiday travel season in history,” says Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. “We are ready! We have incorporated the latest technology with our new mobile app and we have hired new professional ambassadors to provide our passengers with excellent customer service along every step of their travels while at Orlando International.”
Ten Busiest Holiday Travel Days in Order:
|Wednesday, December 28th||142,020|
|Tuesday, December 27th||140,551|
|Saturday, December 17th||139,391|
|Monday, December 26th||138,671|
|Saturday, December 31st||138,416|
|Monday, January 2nd||137,059|
|Saturday, December 24th||136,631|
|Sunday, January 1st||135,740|
|Wednesday, December 21st||135,365|
|Thursday, December 29th||134,595|
|Least Busy Travel Day:||Thursday, January 5th||121,228|
Christmas Day is typically one of the least busy travel days, however this year it is actually the 13th busiest travel day with 132,801 passengers expected at MCO.
Latest in Technology:
A new state-of-the-art app has been developed and is being deployed on the Apple and Google stores just in time for the holiday travel season.
The improved MCO Airport mobile app includes a wide variety of features:
- Improved flight status and flight notifications
- Improved Airport terminal layout and map
- Improved indoor navigation and location awareness
- “Save” feature to help remember my parking spot
- Security waiting times
- Location of airline counters and gates
- Location of rental cars and other transportation
- Restaurant and shopping information and locations
- Ground transportation and parking options
- Improved customized terminal and airside directions feature
- Airport amenities
Orlando International Airport will continue to develop its passenger app in the future by adding new features and functionality as part of new releases.
Last Minute Gift Ideas:
With over 127 retail and food outlets throughout the terminal, MCO has something for just about everyone’s wish list.
Little known secret (Most of our stores are open later than the malls on Christmas Eve until 9 p.m.)
- Record passenger traffic means parking garages can fill quickly. Arrive at the airport early enough to locate a space and allow for two hours inside the terminal for ticketing and security processing for domestic travel and three hours for international flights.
- Do not pack weapons. You could be subject to jail time and up to $11,000 in fines
- Do not wrap presents. Wrapped packages are subject to search
- Do not make light-hearted jokes about security during any stage of your travels
- Pack as lightly as possible
- Follow the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) 3-1-1 rules for carrying liquids and gels through security (THREE ounce or less containers of liquids or gels, ONE clear ziplock bag and ONE bag per passenger)
- Familiarize yourself with TSA screening rules. Learn what is allowed and what is prohibited prior to arrival by checking out the TSA website at TSA.gov.
- Pack your patience!